The Tewkesbury Colts Term of Footastic Events

July 19, 2018
Andy Moss

– Welcome to the final instalment of the Colts season. You may remember that my last blog was hopeful of a strong finish to the season after some encouraging results. Well, using a good old football term… It’s been a bit of a rollercoaster –

Since then we’ve won 3 and lost 3.

March brought only 2 games. Firstly, I took a team depleted by the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme and illness to Westbury, with only 12 players available. The pitch was a typical council-maintained pitch, that had been “well used”. Two days of rain added plenty of interest to the already bare pitch.

I know, excuses… Excuses!

In the first half it started with robust challenges all over the pitch. Due to Westbury having the slight advantage, it was not long into the half that they took the lead. Tewkesbury had our fair share of chances, but it wasn’t going in. As time went on, Westbury took control and by half time we were 5 nil down. We could be in for a stuffing here! A half time discussion was required to boost the morale and get the traditional orange segments into them.

Well, that did the trick and the second half showed a great performance from the lads. We were a different team, everyone played their part including Phippsy still playing, even though he had to leave the pitch for a few minutes to be sick! The game finished 6-1, so we matched them in that second half. I was convinced that if we had our full team we could have potentially won that one.

Within the next game in March, saw Inkberrow visiting a full-strength Colts. I was in hope of a positive, solid performance and they certainly didn’t disappoint. We were treated to some great attacking football and breezed to a 3-0, half-time lead. We continued to drive forward and cruised to a 6-0 final score, with a hat-trick for Paul.

We were then into the Easter break so, we had to wait a full month before our next game. It was likely to be the toughest game for a while, with Redditch Borough the visitors to “Colts Park”. Redditch were a tough, strong and a well organised side and proved that with a convincing 6-2 win over the Colts. I had nothing to moan about the team’s performance, but just put it down to experience.

Three more games to go, and now knowing that the third position in the league was possible, created an uplifting feel throughout the team and I. But we had to win all our games and hope for a couple of slip ups from other teams.

After many away games at the start of the season, Colts had another home game against Shipston, who scraped past the Colts at the start of the season with a 5-4 end to the game. I was looking for revenge. And it came in the form of a 5-1 win, with the team continuing to show good attacking paly, but more importantly a solid defensive performance, with a single late goal against.

It was now the return match against Westbury, who had recently stuffed the depleted Colts 6-1. This time I had a full-strength squad to choose from. By now I had the difficult problem of picking the match day squad and starting 11. They say it’s a nice problem to have, however I’m not so sure.

Anyway, the game got going and proved to be a very much tighter game than the previous two. Both sides fought out a hard midfield battle with some chances both nothing clear cut. Westbury played the unusual substitution tactic of bringing 3 subs on together. That unsettled for a few minutes and it looked like Westbury might pinch the lead. However, Colts held out and half time came with the game still goalless.

After a rousing half time chat from the coaches the Colts returned to the pitch ready for action. We had the upper hand but still no goals were coming. A few substitutions we performed by both sides to try to make the difference, but it was the colts that eventually got what proved to be the winner. An upset but sporting Westbury coach congratulated us on the win in what was a ‘good old English football’.

To the final game of the season. Away to the league leaders Warnden. A win for the Colts and a defeat for other teams could still mean we could finish second, but a win for Warnden ensured they won the league.

So not the usual mid table, nothing to play for, drab end of season affair. Both teams started off strongly but Warnden showed that they had learned from the previous season and worked out how to rattle the opposition. Colts were out hassled, as a result of this Warden took the lead. The game became disjointed and difficult for the young referee to manage and the Colts were not able to get the flowing passing game that we had seen in previous games. As already mentioned, Warnden had the upper hand and the final score ended 3-0 in their favour.

It was a disappointing end to what had been a good season for the Colts. The team has trained hard together and had showed that they work well as a team. The team has matured throughout the year and have competed well. I look forward to next season in the Under 16s Evesham Ambassador league.

I want to complete the review with some thanks to the coaches John Nicholls and Chris Davies for all the hard work and commitment to the team especially standing in when I have not been able to attend training.

As well as this, thank you to Rimilia for providing the kit and supporting the team.